Chinese-Style Scallion Pancakes are a beloved dish in Chinese cuisine, known for their crispy exterior and flavorful filling. These savory pancakes are made with a simple dough that is rolled out thin, filled with scallions and seasonings, and then pan-fried until crispy. They are a popular street food in China and are often served as a breakfast food, snack or appetizer. In this article, we’ll show you how to make delicious Chinese-Style Scallion Pancakes at home.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
Salt and pepper, to taste
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Mix the flour and salt in a sizeable/large bowl. Slowly add the boiling water, stirring constantly with a fork until the dough starts to come together.
- Add the cold water and knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes.
- Place a damp towel over the dough and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Separate the dough into eight even portions and shape each piece into a round ball.
- On a floured surface, roll out each ball into a thin circle, about 8 inches in diameter.
- Brush each circle with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle each circle with a handful of scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Starting from one end, tightly roll up the dough to form a long snake shape.
- Coil the snake shape into a spiral and tuck the end underneath the pancake.
- Roll out the spiral gently to form a pancake, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and scallions.
- Heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook each pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the pancakes on a paper towel-lined plate and serve hot.
Tips for Making Crispy Scallion Pancakes:
- Use boiling water to make the dough. This will help the dough become more elastic and easier to work with.
- Resting the dough for 30 minutes allows the gluten to relax, making it easier to roll out the dough and prevents the pancakes from shrinking during cooking.
- Brushing the rolled out dough with oil helps create a crispy exterior while also preventing the pancakes from sticking to the pan.
- Rolling the scallions tightly into the dough creates layers of flavor and texture in the pancakes.
- Cook the pancakes over medium heat to ensure that they are cooked through without burning.
Chinese-Style Scallion Pancakes are a delicious and easy-to-make dish that can be enjoyed as a snack, appetizer, or even a main course. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of practice, you can make crispy and flavorful scallion pancakes that rival those found in your favorite Chinese restaurant. Whether you’re a fan of Chinese cuisine or just looking for a new recipe to try, these pancakes are sure to impress.
In addition to being delicious, scallion pancakes are also a versatile dish. They can be enjoyed on their own, dipped in soy sauce or hot sauce, or used as a wrap for other ingredients such as shredded chicken or vegetables. They can even be sliced into smaller pieces and served as a party appetizer.
When it comes to making scallion pancakes, practice makes perfect. Do not feel disheartened if your initial few attempts do not yield perfect results. With a little bit of patience and practice, you’ll be able to make restaurant-quality scallion pancakes that will wow your friends and family.
In summary, Chinese-Style Scallion Pancakes are a tasty and easy-to-make dish that are perfect for any occasion. With a few simple ingredients and some helpful tips, you can make crispy, flavorful scallion pancakes that are sure to impress. So why not give this recipe a try and see for yourself how delicious homemade scallion pancakes can be?
Leave a Reply